Another eventful week is flying by here at the studio. As always the team has been working non-stop to bring you updates and make the game you love even better.
- We're pleased to announce the addition of a new regional chat system. This item has been one of our most requested features, and you can find the details below.
- We have made additional improvements to the functionality of the /ignore command. This command should now work more consistently.
- A "new mail" icon has been added to the edge of the minimap to alert players when new mail messages have arrived.
- We have made some additional improvements to the handling of NPC speech and action text in an effort to reduce the amount of chat players see from NPCs.
- In order to provide a more challenging and rewarding experience, we have adjusted the overall speed at which players can gain control of zones and move the campaign.
- Pet behaviors have been improved and should act more naturally when changing between passive and defensive modes while the pet is fighting multiple enemies.
- The war against the gold sellers continues! We have introduced a new "report gold seller" command that works as follows: when you type /rg, the game will automatically fill out a gold seller appeal using the name of the last player who sent you a tell. If you get an unwanted /tell from a pesky gold seller, type /rg to start an appeal and get them busted!
- We have added a new option to the user settings that will allow players to enable or disable shader caching. This is a graphical performance option, and for a full explanation, players can hover their mouse over this option in the user settings window.
Regional Chat System
Chapter-based chat channels have been replaced with a farther reaching chat system, referred to as Region Chat. A region is defined as the contiguous zones that make up a tier-based racial pairing area. For example, Blighted Isle and Chrace make up one region. Region Chat consists of two channels, Region and Region-RvR.
- Region encompasses the entire region area.
- Region-RvR encompasses the RvR-focused areas, such as the Plain of Bone.
How to use the Regional Chat System:
- To type in the Region channel, use /1 [message]
- To type in the Region-RvR channel, use /2 [message]
- Note: You must be in the RvR-focused region to use the Region-RvR channel. Players on Open RvR servers will have access to Channel 2 at all times.
- To disable these channels right click on the proper chat tab, go to "Tab Options" then "Filters." Scroll down to Region and Region-RvR and uncheck the channels you no longer wish to view.
- If you have disabled either channel and wish to re-enable them simply return to the "Filters" menu and re-select the appropriate channels.
General Changes and Bug Fixes
- In order to ensure that the Apothecary skill remains a valuable crafting profession potions will no longer drop as frequently.
- Seeds for Cultivation will no longer drop as frequently throughout the world.
- Monsters should no longer disappear and then reappear when attacked at range by players.
- In some rare cases, the game would leave "ghost images" of NPCs who had moved away or de-spawned. As a result, players would see NPCs that were not actually there. We have taken steps to correct this issue, and players should see far fewer of these phantom NPCs.
- We fixed an issue that would sometimes cause monsters to break off in mid-combat and attempt to walk away.
- We have made some additional improvements to the pathing and behavior of monsters. These fixes should reduce pathing issues sometimes seen when pulling monsters at range.
- Nurglings will no longer continue to make aggressive sounds after they have been killed.
- Fixed a crash-issue that sometimes occurred when entering city dungeons.
- Fixed a crash that sometimes occurred when searching the Auction House.
- We have made some adjustments to the Hydra boss in the Sacellum dungeon to bring this encounter more in line with the original design and difficulty.
Realm vs. Realm
- Reduced the interaction time required to deploy a guild standard
- Reduced the interaction time required for players to pick up standards that they own. Please Note: This does not include the capturing of enemy standards.
- Capturing an enemy standard will now reward the capturing player and his nearby allies with renown.
- Players can no longer be queued for a scenario while they already have an invite pending to a different scenario.
- Attempting to join a scenario that has already ended will no longer send players to the character select screen.
- Renown gained from healing players was granting more renown than intended over long periods of time. Players who heal other players will still earn renown for aiding their friends in combat, but large heals or repeated heal-over-time spells will result in lesser renown gains than before.
While going over the data collected for renown gained by healing, we discovered a few incorrect values that led to players earning far more renown than designed. To ensure equal renown gains for players regardless of their chosen career and whether they group or not inside scenarios, we have made several adjustments to the way renown is granted from healing other players:
- Earning renown from healing players was erroneously granting renown while outside of RvR. This has been adjusted so getting renown for healing players outside of RvR or from a player that is not RvR flagged will occur less frequently.
- Healing players will grant renown correctly if the healed player has earned renown from killing other players recently.
- Trial of Carnage: The Spectators in this Bastion Stair Public Quest can no longer be attacked until the proper stage.
Combat & Careers
- Pounce: This ability has been adjusted so that it no longer targets objects. This includes quest and public quest object targets and keep doors.
- The Final March: The "Gharvin's Brace Badge" will now correctly step this quest.
- Blood for the Blood God: This quest now correctly states that players must to kill Jinnivul Blisswhisper.
- Cronrel Grimstar will no longer spawn faster than intended.
- Sarthain the World Bearer: Nature’s Wrath will no longer persist on players after death.
- The Ethereal Sprites will now correctly attack players that do not have the "Worldbearer Branch."
- It is no longer possible to remove the "Whitefire Web Bolt" debuff without the Torch of Lileath.
- The door to the Keeper of Secrets room will now open after she is defeated.
- The Darkpromise Beast's "Infectious Poison" will now correctly affect one player at a time.
- Discordant Turbulance: This ability will now correctly debuff enemies.
- Convenant of Clerity: This ability will now correctly appear as a debuff on enemy players.
- Triumphant Blasting: This ability will now correctly grant knock-back immunity to enemy players.
- Vanguard Spanner: This item now appears correctly as a wrench.
Realm vs. Realm
- Phoenix Gate Scenario: Resolved an issue in which players could sometimes reach the Destruction Spawn location.
Combat and Careers
- Chaotic Rift: This ability will no longer effect an unlimited number of players, and follows the same target restrictions shared by all other Area of Effect spells
- Clearing the Way: Fixed an issue that was preventing players from obtaining this quest again after abandoning it.
- Testing the Waters: The test vials will no longer be removed from the player's quest inventory until all of the quest objectives are completed.
- The Devil Inside: The Crazy Peasant will once again spawn properly, allowing players to complete this quest.
- A Claim to Power: Fixed an issue that was preventing players from getting the 15th Heart of the Pure and preventing players from completing the quest.
- Heads Will Roll: The Uthorin Raidlord who is part of the Griffon Gate Public Quest will no longer kill the named NPCs that are the target objective of this quest.
- Big Feathers: Featherscale Eagles will now properly give credit for this quest.
- Riding to War: Fixed an issue that was preventing players from obtaining this quest again after abandoning it.
- Griffon Gate: Fixed an issue that could sometimes cause the Griffon Defenders to spawn at the wrong time while this Public Quest was resetting.
- Fixed an issue that was causing some Magma Crawlers in Thunder Mountain to respawn too quickly after dying.
- Adjusted the level of the lair boss Karerg the Reaver to make him a more appropriate level of challenge for playeys.
- Fixed an issue that would cause NPCs at the Cloudbreaker Estate not to react when attacked by players.
- Fixed an issue that was sometimes causing the monster Belfarus to despawn in the midst of combat.
- Juggernauts in the Bastion Stair dungeon will no longer spam erroneous chat messages.
- Lord Yldrian in the Ruins of Anlec once again offers Basic influence rewards.
EXPERIENCE ENHANCEMENTS - Phase III10/22/2008
With the addition of the new region-wide and RvR-wide chat channels, we have seen a marked increase in Open RvR participation. In order to encourage this trend even further, we have made an additional adjustment to the experience awarded for killing enemy players in an Open RvR area. Previously, we increased this amount by 50%. As of today, that bonus has been raised to 100%. With this change players killed in Open RvR will now be worth double the experience than those killed in scenarios!
As always, we will continue to monitor your feedback and work on ways to improve the RvR experience. More changes are coming, so be sure to stay tuned to the Warhammer Online Herald and monthly newsletter for the latest updates.
General Changes and Bug Fixes
- Players will once again respawn in High Elf Chapter 17 after dying in the Isle of the Dead.
- Adjusted the encounters in the captured version of the Altdorf Royal Palace to correct some abilities that had been set improperly, and to bring the difficulty of these encounters more in line with the intended level of challenge.
Combat and Careers
- Poisoned Spines: This ability will now fire properly.
- Following another round of encounter polish and improvements, we have re-opened the Lost Vale dungeon. Players can now once again confront the perils of this challenging high-level dungeon.
- Destruction of Beauty: Fixed several waypoints in this quest that were displaying in the wrong locations on the map.
- Eternal Might: Fixed an erroneous waypoint in this quest.
- Desperate Gambit: The Black Ice Chests will now be interactable, allowing players to complete the quest.
- Unholy Bond: The Blacktalon Bestigors in West Praag will now spawn more frequently, making this quest easier to complete.
- Riding to War: Players who destroy the Dragonwake Caller quest item can now return to Cirfandan Whiteflame to get another one.
- Shorn Horns: Adjusted the quest conditions so that the quest can now be completed
- Out of Favor: Acolytes will once again spawn in Pilgrim's Mount, allowing players to complete the quest.
- The Chink in Their Armor: Fixed an issue that was preventing players from being offered this quest again after they had abandoned it.
- Torn Asunder: Revised part of this quest to make the instructions more clear and to address an issue that was sometimes not issuing credit properly for one of the steps.
- Dance of Bones: Adjusted the respawn times on monsters in this Public Quest in order to ensure that the quest requiring players to enter this area can be completed by a solo player.
- Reik River Bandits: Fixed an issue that was causing the "Heavy Lifting" debuff to persist improperly on players.
- Griffon Gate: Griffon Defenders in this public quest will now respond to attacks on their Eagle Claw Bolt Throwers.
- Barbarous Foragers will now attack players when engaged with ranged abilities.
- The Call of Eternity: Adjusted the offer level of this High Elf epic quest so that it will be offered to players of the appropriate rank.
- Rat Men?: The "Investigate Sewers" condition for this quest will now complete properly when players enter the appropriate area.
- Thrill of Power: Fixed an issue that sometimes caused players to become stuck midway through this quest when Draethir the Falcon was slain by a different player.
- Seeking Chaos: An issue was discovered with this quest that will require additional time to correct. We have temporarily disabled the quest while the issue is resolved, at which time the quest will once again be offered.
- Anguish in Annulii: This quest will now grant credit for killing Mountain Maulers.
- Enemies Abound: Suspicious Characters in the Grey Lady Inn will now step the condition for this quest only a single time per NPC.
- Destruction of Beauty: The waypoints in this quest now appear in the correct locations and list the correct quest finisher.
- The Shrieking Meadow: Fixed an issue that could cause this High Elf public quest to get stuck and not advance after Beastmaster Kohdread is slain.
- Stormriver's End: Players will now have more time to be able to complete the final stage of this High Elf public quest.
- Echoes of War: Ritual Combatants in this public quest will no longer attempt combat while running away after stage 2.
- When attacked, the NPC Faran Valrinson will now taunt the player appropriately and attack regardless of distance.
- The wandering quest NPC Grulnok Dirtnog is no longer attackable, and will no longer attack Order players.
- Gloves for the Order version of the Annihilator armor set are now available for purchase from renown merchants in Tier 4.
- Fixed an Apothecary crafting item that had an erroneous sell price set on it.
- Needle of Ellyrion: Killing the Uthorin Castigator at this battlefield objective will no longer cause the other Uthorin NPCs to despawn prematurely.
- We have made changes to the client that may improve stability for some players. We welcome feedback from the players on how these changes have affected client stability.
- Battle of Bitterstone: Killing greenskin NPCs in stage 1 of this public quest will now properly award players with influence.
- Neversong Caravan Defenders: Fixed an issue that was causing the kill counter in this public quest not to increment properly when the guards are killed.
- An Ounce of Prevention: Fixed an issue with this quest which was sometimes allowing players to step the quest repeatedly from the same monster.
- Finding the Fight: The Gor Captain will now spawn properly when players on the final step of this quest use the Gor Horn item.
- Bolstering Our Army: Fixed an issue with this quest which was preventing Imronel Greenwood from speaking to players.
- War Calling Casque helmet: Fixed an issue which was causing this item to display multiple careers in its career requirements list.
- Fortress zones will now correctly flag players for RvR.
- Fixed an issue with the Covenant of Flame keep which was sometimes causing guards of the wrong realm to spawn.
- The Oathbearer Warbringers will now reward players for finishing the repeatable Doomfist Crater quests. Additionally, they will now offer these quests to players who are at least rank 18.
General Changes and Bug Fixes
- We have made improvements to the overall speed of the in-game mail system. Players should now find that sending and receiving mail takes less time, and that the system is more responsive.
STATE OF THE GAME10/17/2008
For those of you who played Dark Age of Camelot, you may be familiar with my 'State of the Game' messages. If not this message which talks about WAR as it is today and where we want it to go in the near future.
First, on behalf of everyone at Mythic, I would like to thank you for your interest in our game. WAR is doing fabulously. We are one of, if not the, fastest selling MMORPG out of the blocks and with our 88 Metacritic, we are also one of the most highly rated MMORPGs of all time. We are currently working on our first major content patch (1.1) which we hope to release later this Fall. Please keep in mind that this message does not encompass everything in the patch and we will continue to deliver small, focused patches on a weekly basis as we have done so far. Here are some of the highlights from that patch.
First, we are going to be adding the Black Guard and the Knight of the Blazing Sun to the legions of WAR. We have a very special event planned around their appearance and in our next newsletter we will provide full details about that exciting and rather novel event.
Second, over the next 30 or so days that we expect will improve everything from crashes to desktops (CTDs) to stuttering that some of you, especially those on lower spec machines are experiencing. We also have a number of other client changes that will improve things such as propagation and ghosting. Third, we have major improvements going in for our mail system that should eliminate the slowness that is occurring on some of our servers.
Fourth, we will be doing a myriad of things for our RvR players including better gear drops, increased drop rates, improving rewards for playing both offense and defense in open RvR as well as we looking at implementing an RvR-influence system as well to go along with the current PvE-influence system.
Fifth, look for major additions to the chat system (description linking and more) as well as continued work on our targeting system including adding Main Assist and Target of Target. We will also be offering the first server transfers to our players to help even out the server populations some more while at the same time, also using the methods that have worked so well over the last week.
Sixth, we'll also be adding a lot more content to the game including fourteen entirely new quest chains, two new Lairs, many more ToK unlocks!
Finally, almost every career is going to see some changes and love and improvements coming their way. We've been looking at all the careers and we have a lot of good changes coming in this patch and beyond for all our classes.
As required by lawyers everywhere, here's usual disclaimer that this letter is a guide to what we hope to include in this upcoming patch and not a guarantee of any kind. We are working on many things right now and my letters, as always, are just the tip of the iceberg. And fellow WARers, we have a lot more big surprises coming your way that I will address in my next State of the Game message and it's going to be a doozie.
Once again, I thank you for your support, patronage and interest in WAR.
Mark Jacobs, VP, GM Mythic Entertainment
- Daemonic Infestation: Will once again detonate when enemies are nearby.
- Land Mine: Will once again detonate when enemies are nearby.
The following Scenario gameplay adjustments have been made:
- Temple of Isha: Holding Isha's Will now generates 1 point every three seconds for the holding player's team
- Doomfist Crater: Holding Doomfist Ore will now generate 1 point every 5 seconds per Ore held, for the holding player's team.
High-Level Encounter Adjustments
As part of our ongoing effort to ensure that the high-level encounters and boss battles in WAR provide a truly epic and challenging experience, we have made some adjustments to the following encounters:
- The bosses (and their bodyguards) that spawn at the end of the "Altdorf" and "The Inevitable City" contested city public quests have been adjusted to provide a more appropriate level of difficulty for a group of high-level players. Players who wish to confront these powerful adversaries are advised to wear as many pieces of armor as possible from the Sentinel and Conqueror sets.
- All NPCs in the captured capital city public quests "The Grand Theogonist" and "The Monolith" have been similarly adjusted to bring them in line with the other captured city public quests. Players who wish to tackle these extremely challenging public quests are advised to wear as many pieces of armor as possible from the Invader and Darkpromise sets.
- We will continue to evaluate your feedback on our high-level content and make additional changes to improve the quality of our high-level gameplay. Our goal is to ensure that the most difficult encounters offer both the greatest dangers and the greatest rewards that WAR has to offer!
- Fixed an issue that could, in some rare cases, cause the "black market" NPCs not to spawn when Altdorf is in a contested or captured state.
- Loot bags that drop in the contested capital city public quest "Altdorf" will no longer offer reward items for careers different from that of the player who opens the loot bag.
- Fixed an issue that was causing a particular group of Bloody Sun Wolves to respawn too rapidly.
- Fixed several small issues with the "Battle of Bitterstone" public quest in order to ensure that players will now receive kill credit and influence at the right times.
- The Bastion Stair dungeon public quests "Rise of Carnage" and "Bloodherd Labyrinth" will now properly spawn loot chests when completed.
- Fixed an issue with the "Power Hungry" quest that could allow too many of the Scale of Immerial lizards to be spawned simultaneously.
- The Spanner of the Disciplined will now have the proper appearance.
- Standard bearers will no longer be able to deploy more than one standard at a time.
- Fixed an issue with the guards at the Covenant of Flame keep that was causing them to respawn too quickly.